Mandy's Musings

Ramblings of romance author Madeline Baker/Amanda Ashley

Sunday, July 03, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

We went to Zion last week. Living in the city, you forget how big the world really is. There's a lot of wide open country out there. Driving through Zion and other parts of Utah is like being in another world. For 8 days, we had no news, no tv, no malls, no smog, no computers.

We saw lots of cows and horses, even a herd of buffalo


We also saw some elk someone was raising, for meat or their antlers, I'm afraid. They were beautiful.


We went on a walk in Zion called the Narrows. It was a lovely place, with the friendliest squirrels I've ever seen. I'm used to having them run away from people, but they would come right up to you. It was kind of cool.


We also went to Bryce and walked along something called the Navajo Loop Trail. NEVER AGAIN! It wasn't so bad going down, but climbing back up, in 100 degree heat, at 8,000 feet, almost did me in.


The best thing about Utah? I found my missing Muse!

We had a great time, saw lots of beautiful country, met some interesting people, but as Dorothy so eloquently said, There's no place like home!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dandee said...

To quote you
"we had no news, no tv, no malls, no smog, no computers."
Ahhhhhh, that would be heaven. lol

Sounds like you had a nice holiday. We have a few elk farms around here. Some are for meat, others are for their antler velvet. It has been many years since I've been to Utah but I've never been to Zion.

Great photos!!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

LOL. It was heaven, for awhile, but sooner or later, one must go back to reality. The elk were so beautiful, I hated to think of them being used for meat. What do they do with antler velvet?

9:19 PM  
Blogger Dandee said...

It is used in alternative medicines, health supplements.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Wow, I never would have guessed that!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Dandee said...

Hi Mandy!

We had a great camping trip with our horses a couple weeks ago. I thought I would share some of the photos with you if you are interested. You can see them on our blog.

http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com

Hope you are having a great summer! We haven't had summer yet, nothing but rain and more rain. We are off to Maui for a couple weeks this weekend so hopefully we will have only sun and fun there. lol

9:12 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Wow, you are so lucky. Your vacation spot was beautiful, and so are your horses.I am sooooooooo jealous!!!!! I would love to have a horse again. I miss riding and just having a horse around.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home