Mandy's Musings

Ramblings of romance author Madeline Baker/Amanda Ashley

Thursday, July 14, 2005

G, PG, or R.......

If you're writing a romance, sooner or later you have to write a love scene...this comes easier to some than others. Personally, I prefer "fade to black". When my first book was being considered by an editor, they sent me a letter saying they would buy it if I would "spice up the love scenes". Still, I've always felt that my love scenes were rated PG-13. These days, with erotica everywhere, they would probably be rated G.

I guess I'm a prude. I don't like to read graphic love scenes, nor do I write them. For me, in books or real life, sex isn't a spectator sport.

An editor told me recently that the two best sellling genres at the moment are Inspirational romances and erotica. Readers seem to be drawing a line with their wallets. Since I don't write either one, I'm wondering where my books will fit in!

As readers, do you want more sex in your books, or less? I'd love to know.

Madeline

4 Comments:

Blogger Raz said...

Well, for me its all depending on the book I am reading. I love your books and your style of writing. With your style, R wouldn't fit right. It be like having a bad taste in your mouth.

I feel you write your love scenes with beauty and class. Not to many writers can do that.

I read the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton and with hers, her love scenes are R, very R, but that fits in with her story. I couldn't read that series if her love scenes was G or PG cause it just wouldn't fit.

Actually with her books its like the 3rd book in that series(I think 3rd) before there is any sex at all, but after that its hot and heavy.

I also have read books that has tried your style of love scenes but the scenes was like every 3 pages and that turned me off really fast.

I have also read books that build and build for the love scene and it ain't all that. It also ends up being the only love scene in the book and that disapoints me greatly and I normally avoid that author again.

I feel if your writing romance there should be romance to the story. IMHO

I feel your doing a wonderful job and hope you never change or stop. I know I can pick up one of your books and not be disappointed at all. I have actually borrowed 5 of your books from my sister to read. ;)

Hope I helped in someway. :)

Blessed Be
Raz

10:02 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hi Raz ~ thank you for your comments. I used to read Hamilton's books, but when she started sleeping with everything on 2 legs, or 4, I quit :) I know her books are very popular, but Anita's actions just turned me off!

Mandy

5:02 PM  
Blogger Raz said...

Yeah, you must enjoy her type of writing to read it. I have heard some have stop reading for the same reason.

I love reading a wide rage of styles of writing. She has yet to do anything to make me stop reading her. If she killed of a main character then maybe I would stop.

Have you read any of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series? I enjoy them too.

Have you ever thought of writing a series about a character or one of the characters you have already? I could think of a handle full of your characters I could enjoy reading about all the time.

I love when my fav authors writes a series then I never have to stop reading about some of my fav characters. :)

6:13 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hi Raz ~ I tried reading Kenyon's books but just couldn't get into them.

As for a series, I really don't know how Kenyon and Feehan keep coming up with ideas for theirs!

I've only written one series of books, and they're historical -
RECKLESS HEART, RECKLESS LOVE, RECKLESS DESIRE and RECKLESS EMBRACE.

I've written a couple of books with sequels, but never a long series.

As for Hamilton's books, I know a lot of people have stopped reading her, but she's still very popular.

Mandy

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home