Mandy's Musings

Ramblings of romance author Madeline Baker/Amanda Ashley

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

What's in a Name?

Finding just the right name for characters can be a real pain in the...neck! Usually, when I start a new book, my hero and heroine are nameless, designated only by Xx. Sometimes the right name comes to me while I'm writing, sometimes I spend HOURS on the web looking at baby name sites.

Sometimes the first name I give a character changes as I come to know the character better. In my upcoming vampire book, the heroine's name was originally Bonnie, but it just didn't fit and she became Victoria.

Are names important? Think how perfectly the name Rhett Butler fits the character. It's a strong male name with a touch of arrogance. Think of Ashley Wilkes. Definitely a wimpy name for a man, in my opinion. Scarlett, of course, is the perfect name for Scarlett. She's vivacious and confident and high-spirited. If I remember right, Scarlett's original name was going to be Pansy! Then there's Melanie. Her name sounds just the way she was, gentle and sweet.

Yes, names are definitely important!

Mandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home