Mandy's Musings

Ramblings of romance author Madeline Baker/Amanda Ashley

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

To Plot or Not

Plotting ~ I wish I did it, it would certainly make writing easier! But, I've never been one to do it. I usually start a story with a sentence that comes to mind and I sit down and write...beginnings, for me, are so easy, I could write them all day! I love them! Beginnings are exciting. I love the newness, the sense of discovering who the people are...but, inevitably, I come to the part where I need a plot...and it's always my downfall, and it's usually around the middle of the book. They don't call them sagging middles for nothing!

I admire writers who complain because they have to CUT words from their manuscripts. That is NEVER my problem. Most publishers want books of 100,000 words. My preferred length is 80,000. You see the problem? We generally compromise at 90,000.

Well, I'm off to work. My current work-in-progress is just over 13,000 words. I have a LONG way to go!

Mandy
www.madelinebaker.net

2 Comments:

Blogger Raz said...

I would do anything to be able to write and make a living from it.

Coming up with stories, plots, twist and turns is not a problem with me. Getting it out of my head and down on paper is my problem.

I also suck really bad at spelling and grammar.

Even if I could get it out of my head and down on paper, publishers wouldn't read it cause of my grammer, spelling etc and just send it back. heh

6:19 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Raz ~ if you want to write, you should write. You can take a class at night school and improve your spelling and punctuation. Or you can hire someone to correct it once the book is finished. When I started writing, I wrote simply for the fun of it and that's why I'm still writing today. So I say, go for it!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home