Mandy's Musings

Ramblings of romance author Madeline Baker/Amanda Ashley

Friday, January 16, 2009

Blogs

"I suppose blogs are a good thing in many ways, but I read one recently that reviewed one of my books. The author of this blog hated my book, and said so, and then picked it apart from beginning to end. I know not everyone likes the way I write, and that's fine. I'm not the world's best author. Heck, I'm not even close. But you know, I do the best I can. I guess the thing that bothered me most was that it was so mean-spirited. I have to wonder if the people who write nasty reviews on Amazon and elsewhere realize how hurtful those reviews are to the authors who read them.

I was tempted to post a reply on Sheridan Sakura Carlotta's blog (yes, that's her name), and ask her to please take the knife out of my back when she was through trashing my book, but I decided against it after some good advice from a friend of mine who said:

"First of all, whoever wrote the review is so flip and impressed with her own wit that she can't stand it. She likes to see herself blog, if you know what I mean, the way some like to hear themselves talk. She's found an audience and gets perverse pleasure from it. I'm sure you know that you can't please all the people all the time---there will be many who don't like you, or don't get what you do. You can't worry about them, although I know it's hurtful. Bottom line, you have a great career and your own fan base who do love what you write."

So, thank you to my friend for helping me put things in perspective.

Mandy

2 Comments:

Blogger Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

Sorry to hear about that review Mandy! What a great friend to have and support you when you read something so terrible as that review!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Sheba's Mommy said...

Apparently this "Sheridan" chick has no decent taste! You are a wonderful author and so many of us KNOW it!! I know how hard it must be and it's easier said than done, but I agree with your friend, and just take it with a grain of salt and let it roll off your back. She obviously is an unhappy person to feel she has to attack someone's work and get pleasure from it. We love you Mandy and will continue reading your awesome work!! I sure can't wait for "Night's Pleasure" to be released!!

Chelsea

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home